Prior to your first appointment
Unless otherwise requested, Animal Allergy & Dermatology will contact your referring veterinarian for current medical history regarding your pet. This allows us to establish communication with your regular veterinarian and in some cases alleviates the burden of running duplicate tests. Please bring any additional records you feel would be valuable for the doctor to review prior to your appointment.
How to prepare for your first appointment:
- Please arrive 10 to 15 minutes prior to your appointment so that we may verify information about you and your pet
- Please make a list or bring all medications, topical therapies and supplements that are currently being used for your pet
- Please DO NOT bathe your pet for at least 3 to 4 days prior to your appointment
- Please do not apply any medications to the skin or into the ears for 24 to 48 hours prior to your appointment
- Your pet’s current diet and ingredients may also be beneficial to review
- Continue all oral medications prescribed by your veterinarian until your pet’s exam
- Our new client forms are available below if you wish to fill them out prior to your exam
During your first appointment:
- Plan on 45 to 60 minutes for your first appointment
- A thorough dermatologic examination will be performed
- Based on your pet’s exam, further diagnostics including a skin scrape or cytology may be recommended and performed.
- Based on findings our doctor's will then write out a complete medical treatment plan, including treatment options, costs, and necessary or elective diagnostics. You will then be provided with discharge instructions for your pet’s care and any prescribed medications to go home with.
- Your veterinarian will receive a detailed report on our exam within 24 to 48 hours of your appointment